[daip] AIPS + Red Had Enterprise question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 18 11:05:25 EST 2005

Michael Bietenholz writes:
 >   I'm installing aips on an new Red Hat Enterprise V3 PC (fresh from
 > Enterprise install).  Making XAS failed because there is no
 > /usr/include/X11 on this machine.  Now on my other RedHat
 > (non-Enterprise) machines this is a symlink to ../X11R6/include/X11,
 > ie. /usr/X11R6/include/X11
 >
 > Do you guys have any Red Hat Enterprise machines?  Have you installed
 > AIPS on them? Could you check if /usr/include/X11 is just a symlink on
 > /usr/X11R6/include/X11 on Enterpise?  I can easily make the necessary
 > symlink, just wanted to check that nothing more serious was broken.

You need to install the RPC for XWindows developers.  On older RedHat
systems that was bundled but the newer ones require a separate RPC
selection.  There may all be separate selections for ncurses-devel (or
some such apelling) and even others.

They are assuming that RedHat users do not develop or even compile and
link software anymore.