[daip] apparent procedure bug & best way to install Dec05 AIPS image

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jan 14 17:29:59 EST 2005

Hugh D. Aller writes:
 > Dear Eric, Amy and associates,
 > 1.  Our AIPS at Michigan is now 7 months out of date (We have a June 27
 > 2004, Linux version compiled with gnu 3.2.2).  It appears, based on
 > your comments on the AIPS web page that it is best to go back to using
 > GNU 2.95.3) is that correct?

    Just run the MNJ (do_daily.<machine_name>) that was set up when
you installed.  The 3.2.2 compiler is fine (with minor fixes we did to
the optimzation list) - I use it on my machine.  You do not need to do
a complete install to update to 31DEC04.

 > 2. Perhaps of "Academic interest only":  We apparently have a broken
 > version of VLBAFQS:  it initializes a parameter (EIF) to -1 (which is
 > illegal) and immediately crashes.  The problem appears academic,
 > because VLBAFIX appears to work correctly (which does the same thing),
 > but perhaps the problem is indicative of a bad local build of AIPS.  I
 > just thought I should check.

Amy is back from AAS so I guess she can take a look at this.  I am
suprised that VLBAFIX does not invoke VLBAFQS but it does not.

Cheers,