[daip] apparent procedure bug & best way to install Dec05 AIPS image

Hugh D. Aller haller at umich.edu
Fri Jan 14 16:16:45 EST 2005

Dear Eric, Amy and associates,
1.  Our AIPS at Michigan is now 7 months out of date (We have a June 27
2004, Linux version compiled with gnu 3.2.2).  It appears, based on
your comments on the AIPS web page that it is best to go back to using
GNU 2.95.3) is that correct?

2. Perhaps of "Academic interest only":  We apparently have a broken
version of VLBAFQS:  it initializes a parameter (EIF) to -1 (which is
illegal) and immediately crashes.  The problem appears academic,
because VLBAFIX appears to work correctly (which does the same thing),
but perhaps the problem is indicative of a bad local build of AIPS.  I
just thought I should check.
Sincerely
hugh

Hugh D. Aller                                            (734) 764-3466
Professor of Astronomy                           haller at umich.edu