[daip] corrupted default POPS vocabulary?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 12 15:05:43 EST 2005

Stefanie Muehle writes:
 > Dear AIPS wizards,
 >
 > we recently upgraded AIPS on our SUN from 31DEC01 (via 31DEC03, which was
 > never really working properly) to 31DEC04. The program works fine for the
 > established users, but if I type in a new user number (i.e. "Loading a
 > brand new POPS vocabulary"), AIPS doesn't even recognize the most basic
 > commands, e.g.
 >
 > >mcat
 > AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       MCAT
 >
 > After a "restore 0" in one of the established accounts, AIPS has
 > "forgotten" all commands, too. Thus I suspect that the file that contains
 > the default POPS vocabulary is corrupted. Where can I find it and can I
 > replace it with the one of the 31DEC04 linux version, which runs fine on
 > my laptop?

    No you cannot replace the sun with a linux file - they are binary
and the two have opposite byte order.

On the sun

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH     (or . LOGIN.SH for bash)
RUN POPSGN
0 POPSDAT TST
mcat                  actually just a carriage return is enough

and then a restore 0 should work.

Eric Greisen