[daip] need help with installing AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jan 7 10:55:14 EST 2005

Bryan Dunlap writes:
 > Dr. Greisen:
 >
 > Thanks for your previous help.  I have put the following entries in
 > DADEVS.LIST:
 >
 > -  /n/35/aips-31DEC05/DATA/STELLAR_1
 > -  /n/35/36/aips/DATA/STELLAR_2
 > -  /n/35/37/aips/DATA/STELLAR_3
 >
 > and renamed the second directory to match this, so the hostname is
 > contained in the directory name.  Unfortunately, now we get this:
 >
 > >mcat
 > AIPS 1: Catalog on disk  1
 > AIPS 1:  Cat Usid Mapname      Class   Seq  Pt     Last access      Stat
 > AIPS 1: Catalog on disk  2
 > AIPS 1:  Cat Usid Mapname      Class   Seq  Pt     Last access      Stat
 > AIPS 1: Catalog on disk  3
 > AIPS 1:  Cat Usid Mapname      Class   Seq  Pt     Last access      Stat
 > AIPS 1: ZFIO: OPER = READ LUN = 15 NREC =        6
 > AIPS 1: ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 5121 THRU = 6144 BEYOND EOF = 5120
 > AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
 >
 > We still cannot see the contents of any of the directories in AIPS.  I
 > have triple checked file/directory permissions and ownerships
 > (everything, including both AIPS installation and data files, is owned
 > by user Dr. Kaufman).  The second directory in particular has over 2400
 > files; none of them are empty.
 >
 > --

I fear that you have copied Solaris files to a Linux box or Linux
files to a Mac box.  AIPS is not byte-order independent and you cannot
do this.

Data must be moved between different byte orders via FITS files.  We
provide RUN file procedures to assist with this.  RUN WRTPROCS and
then proc WRTDISK (n.b. on the previous computer!) and then READISK on
the current one.