[daip] Strange TV problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 10 12:27:05 EST 2005

Sally Laurent-Muehleisen writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 >   I realize the question I am about to pose is cryptic and difficult to
 > answer, but that's why I'm asking it!  I can't seem to diagnose what's
 > going on and thought you might be able to help.  I have an intermittant
 > problem where I get the following error when trying to use the TV, but
 > only when I'm logged in under userid 666 (this is not a joke, I assure
 > you!)
 >
 > ZSSSX2: read error return: Connection reset by peer
 > AIPS 1: TVLOAD: MDISK TV I/O ERROR =   444
 > AIPS 1: TV PROBLEM
 >
 > Could you at least tell me what an MDISK TV I/O ERROR of 444 might mean?
 > That might help me figure out where to start looking for the problem.

The XAS program disconnected from AIPS for some reason during the
middle of the TVLOAD ("connection reset by peer") and the low level
routines return a 333 or 444 as TV is broken.  After this happens can
you do further TV verbs like TVINIT?  Or has XAS more or less gone
away?  Is this an Inet TV or a local TV and was it started by the same
account as is being used for user number 666?

I assure you that the user number is unrelated to the error message
directly, but there could be account privilege interactions I suppose.
Usually they would appear as a failure to open the TV to start with
rather than a break in the middle.

Are you trying to load a particularly large image are something like
that when this happens.  I cannot think of any reason why the
connection should reset but perhaps some untrapped error could occur.