[daip] Re: aips tvload

Farhad Zadeh zadeh at northwestern.edu
Fri Aug 26 14:39:23 EDT 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Eric Greisen wrote:

> Farhad Zadeh writes:
>
> > I am having a
> > real problem loading TV screen on my home TVscreen
> > when I am logged in to my work workstion from home.
> > AIPS is running locally
> > I ssh to my computer at work and then type
> > aips tvok tv=the home computer IP address
> >
> > The images take foreover to be transferred. In fact if
> > I use
> > aips tv=local is a lot faster.
> >
> > Any advice? What I am doing wrong. I have asked Doug Roberts and he
> > can't figure out what the problem is.

Eric

> Perhaps I don't understand -you are at home and the work computer is
> trying to write to your home machine's screen?
Yes

> That would normally be
> slow.

I know but it is much much slower than it used  to be.
My new DSL cable runs about 1.4Mby/s download so it should be faster.
After I log in to my work place I type "aips tvok tv=homeipaddress
In the first case, aips on the home  machine is  running.

>  When you say aips tv=local is that command on your home
> computer or is that command on the office computer with $DISPLAY set
> to your home machine?

I log into my work computer and type aips tv=local. In the second case,
aips on the home  machine is not running and the aips display is viewed on
the home machine, though I am on my work machine.

The first case should be faster than the first case for sure but
I am finding that is not so. Any suggestons would be appreciated.

Farhad

If it is on your home machine, then it should