[daip] Re: aips tvload

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 26 10:45:23 EDT 2005

Farhad Zadeh writes:

 > I am having a
 > real problem loading TV screen on my home TVscreen
 > when I am logged in to my work workstion from home.
 > AIPS is running locally
 > I ssh to my computer at work and then type
 > aips tvok tv=the home computer IP address
 >
 > The images take foreover to be transferred. In fact if
 > I use
 > aips tv=local is a lot faster.
 >
 > Any advice? What I am doing wrong. I have asked Doug Roberts and he
 > can't figure out what the problem is.

Perhaps I don't understand - you are at home and the work computer is
trying to write to your home machine's screen?  That would normally be
slow.  When you say aips tv=local is that command on your home
computer or is that command on the office computer with $DISPLAY set
to your home machine?  If it is on your home machine, then it should
be fast.  If on your work machine, then it should be similar to using
the Inet connection.  We are seeing immense problems with Inet on some
systems when it is used inside the same machine although those same
systems talk to other computers (inside the AOC) normally.