[daip] Installing AIPS on AMD-64 system

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sat Aug 20 12:54:24 EDT 2005

Sharmila Goedhart writes:
 > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Eric Greisen wrote:
 >
 > > Sharmila Goedhart writes:
 > >
 > >  > My home pc is an AMD-64 running SUSE 9.3. I wanted to try learn more about
 > >  > the AIPS management side of things without breaking anything at work so
 > >  > wanted to install AIPS at home. (Also AMD-64s are really fast) I tried
 > >  > installing AIPS using the install wizard but the architecture was not
 > >  > recognised.  Is is possible to run AIPS on the 64-bit systems, or should I
 > >  > just give up?  If it is possible, what do I need to do?
 > >  >

 > > More info in a bit, but a question:  What do you mean the architecture
 > > was not recognized?  What did install.pl say?  We you using 31DEC05?
 >
 > Its been a couple of weeks since I tried it but if I recall correctly
 > install.pl came up with UNKNOWN. I downloaded whatever version it was that
 > the install wizard downloads, so I think it was 31DEC05.  Maybe I can edit
 > something manually.  I haven't really looked at the install process very
 > carefully yet.
 >
 > We chose SUSE as the operating system because there is good support for
 > the 64-bit processors. You get a separate install dvd and just run it.
 > No adding in patches afterwards. So far it seems to be quite stable.

Without more exact info, I can't help you.  When did it come up with
UNKNOWN.?  If it could not determine the architecture early on it asks
you to tell it what to use.  LINUX would have been the correct answer.
If the UNKNOWN comes up later, then there is some discordance between
the setting of LAPTOP in LOGIN.SH (and .CSH), the list of computers in
HOSTS.LIST, and the answer returned by uname -n.  After the initial
setup is done, install.pl accesses LOGIN.SH to set all variables and
sometimes if there ius a discordance, the HOST becomes unrecognized.