[daip] Installing AIPS on AMD-64 system

Sharmila Goedhart sharmila at hartrao.ac.za
Fri Aug 19 02:27:59 EDT 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Eric Greisen wrote:

> Sharmila Goedhart writes:
>
>  > My home pc is an AMD-64 running SUSE 9.3. I wanted to try learn more about
>  > the AIPS management side of things without breaking anything at work so
>  > wanted to install AIPS at home. (Also AMD-64s are really fast) I tried
>  > installing AIPS using the install wizard but the architecture was not
>  > recognised.  Is is possible to run AIPS on the 64-bit systems, or should I
>  > just give up?  If it is possible, what do I need to do?
>  >

> More info in a bit, but a question:  What do you mean the architecture
> was not recognized?  What did install.pl say?  We you using 31DEC05?

Its been a couple of weeks since I tried it but if I recall correctly
install.pl came up with UNKNOWN. I downloaded whatever version it was that
the install wizard downloads, so I think it was 31DEC05.  Maybe I can edit
something manually.  I haven't really looked at the install process very
carefully yet.

We chose SUSE as the operating system because there is good support for
the 64-bit processors. You get a separate install dvd and just run it.
No adding in patches afterwards. So far it seems to be quite stable.