[daip] Problem with remote tape

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 8 22:08:33 EDT 2005

Alan Marscher writes:

 > We have two Linux computers running 31DEC04 classic AIPS, the machine
 > with the only 4mm tape drive having just been updated from 31DEC02.
 >
 > The system with the tape drive can read tapes just fine. The other
 > system can mount and dismount a tape, but cannot read it. The error
 > messages are:
 > ZTPOPR: Remote tape system returns error code 99
 > ZTPOPN: Remote open error 99 TO
 > TAPIO: Error 99 opening file
 >
 > I imagine that it's an easy problem to fix but couldn't find any
 > guidance from the AIPS website (which of course isn't to say that it's
 > not there!). So, if you could suggest a fix, Svetlana, our student
 > Frannie, and I would be grateful.

The LUNs used by tapes changed so that 31DEC03 and previous are not
compatible with 31DEC04 and 31DEC05 which are compatible with each
other.  The AIPSLetter went into some detail on this matter more than
once.

Are the TPMONs running still dating from the old version?

If everything is at 31DEC04 this problem should not arise.