[daip] Which gcc for AIPS under Fedora Core 4?

William Junor bjunor at lanl.gov
Mon Aug 8 09:58:07 EDT 2005

Good morning, AIPS.

    I want to alert you to a problem with AIPS installations under
    Fedora Core 4 (FC4).  I recently installed FC4 on my machine at
    home and took the opportunity to freshen my version of AIPS
    (31DEC05).  The current guidance on gcc is to use gcc-2.95.3 since
    the 3.x versions don't work well.

    However, gcc-2.95.3 can't be compiled under FC4 --- file
    lowlevellock.h at least is missing.  (I think this is supposed to
    reside in /usr/include/bits .)

    I tried building AIPS using the supplied version of gcc --- FC4
    uses gcc-4.0.0.  My initial impression is that gcc-4.0.0 isn't
    working well --- TVFLG is really rather sluggish for instance.
    I'll investigate some more.

    I don't know what the fix for compilation of gcc-2.95.3 is yet.  I
    looked on the web briefly from home yesterday but did not see a
    ready solution.

                                       Bill

--
ISR-2, Space and Remote Sensing,
MS D436, Los Alamos National Laboratory,