[daip] Installing 31DEC04 on Mac OS X

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 1 22:52:23 EDT 2005

Mairi Brookes writes:
 > Hi
 >
 > I am trying to install AIPS on my Mac (running Tiger).
 > Everything appears to go well until I get to actually installng when I get
 > the following error message:
 >
 > AipsWiz: Running Readline 'configure' in quiet mode, and then make...
 > configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one
 > make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
 > AipsWiz: Error: Either the configure or make step failed in
 > AipsWiz: Error: /Users/mbrookes/AIPS/31DEC04/MACPPC/LIBR/GNU/.
 > AipsWiz: Error: This means INSTEP3/INSTEP4 will not work.
 > AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::
 >

 > Here is my final check:
 >
 > Screen 11: FINAL REVIEW before installing!
 > This is your last, best hope for checking the settings before
 > committing to the install.  Please check thesesettings, and
 > make sure they are what you want:
 >
 >    AIPS_ROOT (screen 3): /Users/mbrookes/AIPS
 >        Group (screen 4): mbrookes
 >  Group Write (screen 4): YES
 > Architecture (screen 5): MACPPC
 >    Site name (screen 5): BROOKES
 >   AIPS hosts (screen 6): MAC05203155450
 >   Data areas (screen 7):     Printers (screen 8):
 > _137_78_212_48|137.78.212.48            PS      NONE   (no description
 > supplied by installer)
 >   Paper type (screen 8): A
 >  Tape drives (screen 9):   Tape hosts (screen 9): 127.0.0.1
 >    Advanced (screen 10): (not listed here)
 >
 > You can skip back to a previous menu by entering its number,
 > or use the phrase 'start over' to go back  to the beginning.
 >          [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]
 >
 > AipsWiz: ===> [A]ccept (default) or menu number:
 >

 > If you have any advice I would appreciate it,
 >
 > thanks,
 >
 > Mairi Brookes

The above looks a bit odd - there should be lines about CD and binary
installs.

You should do a binary install - much easier and faster running code.

Download a current install.pl for 31DEC04 to your $AIPS_ROOT area

then

perl install.pl -n

where the -n gets you binary (uses rsync which must be allowed by your
firewall).  The readline.shr we distributed with 31DEC04 does not
recognize macs - the new one in 31DEC05 probably does.