[daip] Re: Now that you mention it

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 28 13:23:07 EDT 2004

1. The current problem you are having is presumably coming from a bad
adverb value in the adverb VERSION.  Set

VERSION = ' '

and you should be able to do inputs etc.

2. Having two versions may or may not be a good idea - it depends on
how much they differ.  If the LASTEXIT TGET file of the one and the
other point at the same thing but have different structures in the
POPS language then they could be causing you to get bad values in
soime of the adverbs.  This really should not happen even with
somewhat incompatible versions however.

I recommend that sites develop their codes outside the regular aips
structure.  If you modify say $APLSUB/ACOUNT.FOR and then run a MNJ,
the cvs will detect that your ACOUNT.FOR and ours are not the same and
attempt to merge ours into yours which will prduce illegal Fortran.

If, on the other hand, your ACOUNT.FOR were in, say $MYAREA.  Then any
task that needed to use your ACOUNT.FOR could also be build in that
area and have ACOUNT.o in its link list.  Or you could get clever with
SEARCH0.DAT and LIBR.DAT in your $SYSLOCAL.  Thenyou would have only 1
version and even could run MNJs.

Note that generally useful options can be added by me if they get
requested - I just merged a few ATNF things back in so that they would
not have such difficulty tracking our version.

Cheers,