[daip] aips ssh problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 28 11:17:29 EDT 2004

Ulrich Hiller writes:

Please use the address daip at nrao.edu; aipsmail is exactly equal to
daip now.

 > we have installed aips 31dec04 on SuSE Linux 9.0 and 9.1 boxes.
 > At the console of the box itself aips works. But remotely from an
 > X-Terminal we have problems with the TV server.

I asnswered you before and there is clearly a language barrier here.
By "remotely form an X terminal", I take it to mean that you are
sitting in front of the X terminal but are logged in to some computer
by some name.

 > What happens is:
 >  > START_AIPS

You have ordered aips to run XAS and other daemon tasks on the X
terminal with this command.  The X terminal cannot run such programs
(if you really mean a dumb X terminal rather than some older small
computer).

 > [....]
 > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called sun32
 > TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST sun32  ***
 > START_AIPS: Checking if sun32 is reachable via ssh...

This says that sun32 is the value set to $SSH_CLIENT or
$SSH_CONNECTION in your environment.  Hence it tries to talk to sun32
(is that your "X terminal", computer server, or yet some other
computer?).

 > linadm at sun32's password:
 > START_AIPS: Yes it is.  Telling sun32 to start VERSION=TST
 > START_AIPS: TV servers asynchronously with INET Socket...
 > START_AIPS: ******************************************************
 > START_AIPS: IF THIS FAILS, start AIPS yourself by hand on sun32.
 > START_AIPS: ******************************************************
 > START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on AIDA32 asynchronously...
 > Starting up 31DEC04 AIPS with normal priority
 > Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC04) at priority =   0
 > AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > ?linadm at sun32's password:
 >
 > First: I am not sitting at the sun32 console, but ssh'ing over sun32.

What does this mean?  Doe it mean that the X terminal is connected to
sun32 which is then ssh'ed into a compute server?  If so you are
really trying to confuse the situation.  The compute server will only
know about sun32.

What I told you last time and tell you again is

Make sure $DISPLAY is set correctly in your environment

Then use

aips tv=local

or ./START_AIPS tv=local

to start aips.  Then read HELP AIPS to see the other choices that this
tv= option has.  In particular, you may wish/need to chose the number
used (1-35 are possible).

Eric Greisen