[daip] aips ssh problem

Ulrich Hiller hiller at mpia-hd.mpg.de
Tue Sep 28 05:37:01 EDT 2004

Dear sirs,
we have installed aips 31dec04 on SuSE Linux 9.0 and 9.1 boxes.
At the console of the box itself aips works. But remotely from an
X-Terminal we have problems with the TV server.
What happens is:
 > START_AIPS
[....]
START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called sun32
TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST sun32  ***
START_AIPS: Checking if sun32 is reachable via ssh...
linadm at sun32's password:
START_AIPS: Yes it is.  Telling sun32 to start VERSION=TST
START_AIPS: TV servers asynchronously with INET Socket...
START_AIPS: ******************************************************
START_AIPS: IF THIS FAILS, start AIPS yourself by hand on sun32.
START_AIPS: ******************************************************
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on AIDA32 asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC04 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC04) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?linadm at sun32's password:

First: I am not sitting at the sun32 console, but ssh'ing over sun32.
Ok, after the first password question I gave it in, but then:

AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?linadm at sun32's password:

aips obviouly asks for the user ID and at the same time ssh asks for the
second time for the password. No matter what I give in, neither ssh nor
aips are accepting it. What could be the problem and how can I solve it?

Kind regards and thank you in advance for your answer, ulrich hiller

--

Ulrich Hiller
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Astronomie
email hiller at mpia.de