[daip] aips ssh problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 22 11:46:57 EDT 2004

Ulrich Hiller writes:

 > we have installed aips 31dec04 on SuSE Linux 9.0 and 9.1 boxes.
 > At the console of the box itself aips works. But remotely from an
 > X-Terminal we have problems with the TV server.
 > What happens is:
 >  > START_AIPS
 > [....]
 > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called sun32
 > TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST sun32  ***
 > START_AIPS: Checking if sun32 is reachable via ssh...
 > linadm at sun32's password:
 > START_AIPS: Yes it is.  Telling sun32 to start VERSION=TST
 > START_AIPS: TV servers asynchronously with INET Socket...
 > START_AIPS: ******************************************************
 > START_AIPS: IF THIS FAILS, start AIPS yourself by hand on sun32.
 > START_AIPS: ******************************************************
 > START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on AIDA32 asynchronously...
 > Starting up 31DEC04 AIPS with normal priority
 > Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC04) at priority =   0
 > AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > ?linadm at sun32's password:
 >
 > First: I am not sitting at the sun32 console, but ssh'ing over sun32.
 > Ok, after the first password question I gave it in, but then:
 >
 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > ?linadm at sun32's password:
 >
 > aips obviouly asks for the user ID and at the same time ssh asks for the
 > second time for the password. No matter what I give in, neither ssh nor
 > aips are accepting it. What could be the problem and how can I solve it?
 >
 > Kind regards and thank you in advance for your answer, ulrich hiller
 >
 > --

If one invokes START_AIPS (usually by ln -s with name aips in
$SYSLOCAL) with no arguments, then you have told aips to guess where
you are and to run XAS on the computer it finds.  If sun32 does not
have an aips XAS to run then this will not work.  I suggest that you
read the aips man page either as a man page, or as Chapetr 2 of the
CookBook, or as HELP AIPS inside aips.  That explains the command line
arguments.

For X terminals and architectures for which you do not have an aips
system, one would usually run by setting $DISPLAY to point at the
display machine and telling aips to use unix rather than internet
sockets:

aips tv=local

But read the full documentation - the caparmility is more than this.