[daip] Re: jmfit?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 21 14:56:01 EDT 2004

shea at brandeis.edu writes:
 > Hello Eric Greisen,
 >      My name is Shea Brown and I'm a graduate student at Brandeis University.
 > I had a question concerning jmfit in AIPS; if I am only interested in
 > obtaining a gaussian fit for one component in a radio jet, is it safe for me
 > to fit only the core and this component, even though there may be several
 > distinct components between the one I'm interested in and the core?  Is there
 > any danger of jmfit "pulling" in flux from other components into the one I'm
 > interested in fitting?  Thank you very much for any advice you can give me.

I am sorry for the delay in answering - I was on vacation.  The
address daip at nrao.edu reaches the full group and someone else might
have answered.

JMFIT only looks in the BLC/TRC box - so if you can limit a component
to a box unaffected by the wings of other components then you will be
okay.  But if the various components overlap, then you need to solve
all of them.