[daip] AIPS Q band data reduction

R Niruj Mohan mohan at rri.res.in
Thu Sep 16 03:04:14 EDT 2004

Hello,

I have a question about the Q band data reduction, especially initial
phase calibration. I ran FILLM so as to include the weights as well as
have the optical depth effects in CL1.
The data reduction package says I should use DOCALIB=2 even while running
CALIB to apply weights while calculating antenna gain solutions, which
makes sense.

My question is, after I create SN1 on the calibrator using Phase only
calibration,

1. I run CALIB with SOLMODE='A&P' on my calibrator and DOCALIB=2,
GAINUSE=2 to create SN2

2. I run CLCAL on SN2 using CL2 to create CL3.

Amn't I applying the effects of optical depth (which makes the amp of
gains in CL1 more than unity) twice in this process, once in each of the
above steps ? Any clarification would be helpful.

thanks
Niruj