[daip] AIPS in Cambridge

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 8 13:23:59 EDT 2004

The $DATA_ROOT definition is never actually used for anything - you
could just comment it out.

What I do for most systems is use the $AIPS_ROOT/DATA area.

In it I make link files named host_n where host is the host name (in
upper case) and n is 1 2 3 4 5 as needed.

Thus

cd $AIPS_ROOT/DATA

ln -s /home/primate/AIPS/DATA   PRIMATE_1
ln -s /home/primate2/AIPS/DATA  PRIMATE_2

and then in $NET0/DADEVS.LIST and NETSP I list the areas as

/home/AIPS/DATA/PRIMATE_1
/home/AIPS/DATA/PRIMATE_2

(where $AIPS_ROOT is called /home/AIPS above).

I think this is simpler than what we do here which is system-level
definitions such as /DATA/PRIMATE_1 to point at the actual areas.

The DA00 areas are also significant

cd $AIPS_ROOT/DA00
ln -s /home/primate/AIPS/DA00   PRIMATE

The proc SYSETUP then populates these.  Note that having the system
files actually on the host helps with bugs in file locking - which
does not work reliably across NFS.