[daip] AIPS User ID

Amy Mioduszewski amiodusz at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Oct 28 11:35:14 EDT 2004

Hi Aeree,

You should be able to pick any number (except 1) and it will
let you into AIPS.  How does it not?  I.e. what are the error
messages.  Either you do not have write permission on the data
disks or your NETSP file is set up oddly (see below).

The issue comes up while sharing disks because all your data
will have your user number attached to it in extended hex.  If
no-one is sharing disks then you can pick anything (except 1).
There are AIPS assigned user numbers because originally everyone
was running on a mainframe and shared disks.  Now that most
people have there own computer with their own disk it isn't a
big issue anymore.  For example on my computer I use different
user numbers to separate projects.  However, if I use a public
machine I use my AIPS assigned number.  So all you have to do
is choose a number, make sure no-one else has it and use it.
There aren't really any administrative things you have to do
UNLESS you want to limit the use of certain disks to certain
users, then you have to edit the NETSP file which is in your
$NET0 area.  To get to $NET0, source LOGIN.CSH (or . LOGIN.SH)
in your aips home area then type $CDTST, then you should be able
to cd $NET0.

e.g. excerpt from NETSP:
# Disk name             TIMDEST   --------------Allowed Users-----------
/DATA/AAKASH_2            365.0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
/DATA/AGAVE_1             365.0   13   14 2187    0    0    0    0    0

any user can use the disk /DATA/AAKASH_2, but only users 13, 14 and 2187
can use /DATA/AGAVE_1.

Amy