[daip] Re: Fwd: rc.local addition here

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 19 22:12:11 EDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:17:59 -0600, Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu> said:

> Juan now tells me that there is a cron job that deletes files older
> than 10 days in /tmp in CV

It's likely on all Linux systems at NRAO and elsewhere;
/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch to be specific.

> but does not descend in directories below /tmp

No; it doesn't delete non-empty directories.  It does descend.

> and so deletes basicically only these 0-byte files that aips does a
> good job of maintaining.

> Do not delete these files on a re-boot.  AIPS will look after itself.

There's one system feature you're overlooking; the "t" bit on /tmp on
most systems.  This prevents, e.g. an aips process running as juson from
deleting a stale lock file in /tmp written by pmurphy.  Only the owner
of the file, or root, can delete it, regardless of the read/write
user/group status on the directory or file.  That was the motivation for
my suggestion.  Files can survive a reboot; processes can't. I may be off
course, but I'm not confused :-)

I agree though that finding out why the locking mechanism on valen is
failing in the first place (multiple AIPS1 processes) is more
important.  Reproducing the occurence may be difficult or frustrating,
however.
			- Pat