[daip] buglet in PATGN?

Claire Chandler cchandle at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Oct 19 13:05:06 EDT 2004

I'm trying to use PATGN to generate a Gaussian to use as a primary beam
for my SMA data.  I'm finding a couple of things:

(1) the reference pixel is not the "standard" one used in AIPS; i.e.,
usually for a 512x512 image the reference pixel is (256,267), while PATGN
uses (256,256).

(2) it does not seem to be making use of the cellsize when it generates
the image; i.e., when I follow the helpfile instructions with the aim of
getting a beam with FWHM 33", using a cellsize 0.1", it instead gives me a
beam of 3.3".  I have tested this with other cellsizes and it does indeed
seem to be doing things in terms of pixels instead of pixel*cellsize.

Claire