[daip] aips installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 6 17:27:30 EDT 2004

Yesterday we had a disastrous hail storm in the afternoon and it
caught us up short.  I had putbck a file $INC/DSEL.INC and had not
putbck the associated files (you list 4 of them below) to make the
situation for the MNJ consistent.  I forgot - in the excitement of
busted up cars, roofs, houses, etc - about the MNJ or I could have
fixed things in part last night.  I am sorry about that.
Ben Zeiger writes:
 > G'day.
 >
 > I'm one of last summer's students at the AOC--Walter and Shami's, if you
 > remember me.  I was trying to install AIPS on a computer back here at
 > Willamette, and the installwizard ran for the better part of an hour
 > before failing to compile
 >
 > APLNOT.LIS:/home/bzeiger/aips/31DEC04/APL/SUB/NOTST/DATGET.FOR
 > APLNOT.LIS:/home/bzeiger/aips/31DEC04/APL/SUB/NOTST/SELINI.FOR
 > APLNOT.LIS:/home/bzeiger/aips/31DEC04/APL/SUB/NOTST/SETSM.FOR
 > APLNOT.LIS:/home/bzeiger/aips/31DEC04/APL/SUB/NOTST/UVGET.FOR.
 >
 > Does this just require a different compiler, or is something more
 > grievously wrong? (gcc3.3.3 is currently used.)  And if so, can I
 > install it without affecting the performance of the presently-installed
 > one, since I am using the university's facilities?

gcc 3.3.3 and 3.3.4 have given trouble to some other aips
installations.  I would recommend 3.2.3 or 3.4.2 (the former well
tested the latter just now tested a little but seemingly okay).  The
compiler is not however the source of your current problem.

In 31DEC04/DSEL.INC change the definition of DOSMTH from INTEGER to
LOGICAL and then restart install.pl