[daip] remote tape

Crystal Brogan cbrogan at ifa.hawaii.edu
Mon Oct 4 01:08:20 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm having trouble reading remote tapes from my laptop again...

I ran the midnight job on both to be sure they had exactly the
same installation. Then I killed all TPMONS on both machines
and then restarted them. Nothing works

The tape machine is attached to my workstation SHADOWFAX

The error message is:

>inp mount
AIPS 1: MOUNT:    Verb to software mount a tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape unit # (0=> 1)
AIPS 1: DENSITY       0                    Density to set on mount.
AIPS 1: REMHOST    'SHADOWFAX                 Remote computer name
AIPS 1:              '
AIPS 1: REMTAPE       1                    Remote tape drive number
>tape
AIPS 1: AIPS tapes on SHADOWFAX
AIPS 1: Tape Device name            Description
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1:   1. /dev/nst0              Exabyte 8500
>mount
ZVTPO2: shadowfax: unknown host
AIPS 1: ZMOUNR: UNABLE TO OPEN SOCKET TO REMOTE MACHINE, ERROR    2
AIPS 1: ZMOUNT: ERROR     2 RETURNED BY ZMOUN2/ZMOUNR

----------------------

SHADOWFAX -- the workstation where the tape machine is, is defintely
listed as a host in HOST.LIST:

+ SHADOWFAX   LINUX   HILOAIPS  NONE

------------------------------

The TPHOSTS file on the laptop:

shadowfax.ifa.hawaii.edu
*.ifa.hawaii.edu
128.171.168.*
# localhost
127.0.0.1

This worked in July, I don't know what could have changed. Any
suggestions?

cheers,
Crystal