[daip] AIPS Installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 30 12:23:12 EST 2004

Greg Castanon writes:
 > Well, after a long, arduous few days forcing the folks who run the
 > linux computers at my school to update their versions of GNU, here's
 > what I have things set to:

          Your OS is 3 revisions behind ours and we are several behind
the current SUN OS.  It may be rather hard for us to help you.

 > "In general, the default settings for these advanced options will be OK.
 > Please review the settings, and then decide if you want to change them.
 >
 >        AP settings are in PAPC.INC (cf $SYSLOCAL/INCS.SH)
 >        Fortran settings are in $SYSLOCAL/FDEFAULT.SH
 >        C settings are in $SYSLOCAL/CCOPTS.SH, and
 >        Link settings are stored in $SYSLOCAL/LDOPTS.SH
 >
 > Current settings of advanced parameters:
 >
 >    AP Size (MB): 5 (for your memory size unknown KB, use 5 MB)
 > FORTRAN Compiler: /usr/local/bin/g77 (default )
 >     and options:
 > default options:
 >          Linker: /usr/local/bin/g77 (default )
 >      C Compiler: /usr/local/bin/gcc (default )
 >     and options:
 > default options:
 > Readline Library:
 >  Debug Libs too: NO"

     But this is wrong!  There have to be compiler options.  Look at
your ~/.AIPSRC file.  Mine (which uses a gnu compiler) has:

FORT = /usr/local/compilers/7.2/gcc_3.2.3/bin/g77
FORTOPT = -c -fno-automatic -fno-globals -Wno-globals -malign-double -Wimplicit -Wall
CCOM = /usr/local/compilers/7.2/gcc_3.2.3/bin/gcc
CCOMOPT = -c -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -I/home/primate2/AIPS/31DEC04/INC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DHAVE_LINUX_GLIBC
LINK = /usr/local/compilers/7.2/gcc_3.2.3/bin/g77
READLINE = /usr/lib/libreadline.a

Edit your .AIPSRC and add the FORTOPT and CCOMOPT except change the
path to $INC, the /home/primate2/AIPS/ is my $AIPS_ROOT and you need
to substitute yours.

 > Those are links to the latest GCC compilers.  Thankfully, this got me
 > through the area where I was previously stumbling.  However, once I
 > thought I was in the clear, I got this:

 > creating ./config.status
 > creating Makefile
 > creating doc/Makefile
 > Can't open ./doc/Makefile.in
 > creating examples/Makefile
 > Can't open ./examples/Makefile.in
 > creating config.h
 > config.h is unchanged
 > gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I. -I. -I/usr/local/include
 > -DRL_LIBRARY_VERSION='"2.2"' -g -O readline.c
 > In file included from
 > /pkg/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5/2.7.2/include/time.h:90,
 >                 from /usr/include/sys/time.h:410,
 >                 from /usr/include/sys/select.h:17,
 >                 from
 > /pkg/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5/2.7.2/include/sys/types.h:278,
 >                 from readline.c:29:
 > /usr/include/sys/siginfo.h:74: parse error before `pthread_attr_t'
 > /usr/include/sys/siginfo.h:74: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or
 > union
 > /usr/include/sys/siginfo.h:76: parse error before `}'
 > *** Error code 1
 > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `readline.o'
 > AipsWiz: Error: Either the configure or make step failed in
 > AipsWiz: Error: /home/essrl/student/gdc1/AIPS_ROOT/31DEC04/SUL/LIBR/GNU/.
 > AipsWiz: Error: This means INSTEP3/INSTEP4 will not work.
 > AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::"

    This seems odd to me - the antique readline code we provide
compiles fine on our Solaris machines.  Did they get a libreadline.a
somewhere in the updated GNU installation.  If so, change the READLINE
line in ~/.AIPSRC to define the path to it and you will not need to
compile the one we provide.

 > Strange, because it's the same error.  AND the bastard is looking in
 > teh 2.7.2 version of GNU, which is beyond strange.  Any idea why it's
 > doing this, and what I can do to prevent it?  Are there other GNU
 > settings I need to fill out.

   I am sure that there are good reasons for it still to be getting
the old GNU path - perhaps link files still pointing at it etc.

 > And lastly, on a side note...are there any other major sites that
 > collect radio astronomy data in a more easily accessible form?  My
 > complete lack of skill on the unix environment is, I think, delaying
 > the project more than need be.

I don't know any way to put this gently.  Unix is the operating system
used by professional scientists.  Microsoft windows is for
secretaries, business men, and amateurs.  If you plan to be a
scientist, you had better learn the tools that scientists use. The
abysmal support you have on this machine does not make your job any
easier.  Note that $1000 or less will buy a computer with Linux
already installed able to install AIPS rather trivially.  We even
offer binary installs (brand new offer) for Max OS/X and Solaris
machines (requires 2.8 OS at least).