[daip] AIPS install troubles

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 22 16:36:44 EST 2004

Albert Dolendo Ortiz writes:
 > Hello -- I hope this is the correct email for AIPS install help --

        Yes - this is the correct address.

 > /usr/local/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c xas.c
 > In file included from xas.c:31:
 > xas.h:52: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:53: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
 > xas.h:54: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
 > In file included from xas.c:31:
 > xas.h:81: X11/extensions/XShm.h: No such file or directory
 > make: *** [xas.o] Error 1
 > AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
 > AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.

       The code and make for XAS assume that there is a file - usually
a soft link file named X11 in /usr/include.  On my machine this looks
like:

primate<152>$ cd /usr/include
/usr/include
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Feb 24  2004 X11 -> ../X11R6/include/X11/
primate<154>$ cd ../X11R6/include/X11/
/usr/X11R6/include/X11
primate<155>$ ls
ap_keysym.h   Core.h        HPkeysym.h    Object.h    ShellP.h      X10.h      Xaw3d/        Xft/          Xlibint.h  Xos_r.h      Xthreads.h
bitmaps/      CoreP.h       ICE/          ObjectP.h   SM/           Xalloca.h  Xcms.h        Xfuncproto.h  Xlocale.h  xpm.h        Xutil.h
Composite.h   cursorfont.h  Intrinsic.h   PM/         StringDefs.h  Xarch.h    Xcursor/      Xfuncs.h      Xmd.h      Xpoll.h      XWDFile.h
CompositeP.h  DECkeysym.h   IntrinsicP.h  RectObj.h   Sunkeysym.h   Xatom.h    Xdefs.h       X.h           Xmu/       Xproto.h
ConstrainP.h  extensions/   keysymdef.h   RectObjP.h  Vendor.h      Xauth.h    Xdmcp.h       XKBlib.h      Xosdefs.h  Xprotostr.h
Constraint.h  fonts/        keysym.h      Shell.h     VendorP.h     Xaw/       XF86keysym.h  Xlib.h        Xos.h      Xresource.h
primate<156>$

These X11-developer tools are needed to compile XAS (sometimes the RPM
to load these is omitted when building the system).

 > # xdpyinfo | more
 > xdpyinfo:  unable to open display ""

    I do not know where this command came from - it is not in aips
anywhere that I can find other than documentation.  If you are running
XWindows then xdpyinfo should show you lots of things.  If you are not
running XWindows then none of the aips daemons will work (XAS which
did not compile, TKSERV, MSGSRV).

Eric Greisen