[daip] AIPS install troubles

Albert Dolendo Ortiz albert at astro.columbia.edu
Mon Nov 22 15:57:04 EST 2004

Hello -- I hope this is the correct email for AIPS install help --

I've been assigned with installing AIPS on a Linux box here at Columbia
University Astrophysics (Redhat 9, 2.4.20-8 kernel), and ran into a few
problems with the install script:

AipsWiz:         - that seemed to work.
AipsWiz:  =====> Make the XAS TV Server from source if needed...
AipsWiz: About to unpack the XAS.SHR archive.
AipsWiz: Done.
AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...

rm -f *.o xas XAS
/usr/local/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -c xas.c
In file included from xas.c:31:
xas.h:52: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
xas.h:53: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
xas.h:54: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
In file included from xas.c:31:
xas.h:81: X11/extensions/XShm.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [xas.o] Error 1
AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.

later, after the install script finishes:

# xdpyinfo | more
xdpyinfo:  unable to open display ""

I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure what is going on here -- could you please
direct me in the right direction?  Perhaps I am missing something in the
install documentation (this is my first AIPS install)?

Thank you very much,
Albert Ortiz