[daip] aips install problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 18 11:03:52 EST 2004

John Howard writes:
 > Hi Eric,
 >        Thanks for your help in getting back to me, much appreciated! I seem
 > to have got the XAS program working by doing what you said below but I have
 > encountered another problem! Install finishes with an error that can be seen
 > in "installproblem2" attached... the main line error at the end I think
 > been:
 >
 > sh: /space/aips/31DEC04//SYSTEM//CDVER.SH: not found
 >

 > Notably, the line below appears in the end also and for some reason earlier
 > in the install as you will see in the attachment "installproblem2"
 >
 > awk: record `+ LOCALHOST SUL SUNA...' has too many fields
 >  record number 1

   These suggest that there is an error in $AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST
An entry for a few computers looks like

+  PILABO     LINUX   COAOARN  NONE        Pentium III Xeon, 2.2 GHz Frazer Owen
+  PINENUT    LINUX   COAOARN  NONE        PentiumIII 600 MHz, Miller student
+  PINDORAMA  LINUX   COAOARN  NONE        P-IV 1.7 GHz, Henrique Schmitt
+  PLANETAS   LINUX   COAOARN  NONE        Pentium 400 MHz, Bryan Butler
+  PRIMATE    LINUX   COAOARN  NONE        Pentium 500 MHz, Eric Greisen

Note that there are 5 fields and they are placed with 2 (two) spaces
between columns.  This is especially important for columns 1 and 2 as
the header to the file - which we provide states.  It appears that
your file has only 1 space.  Add a space and try again.  It should
then recognize your $SITE name and find $SYSLOCAL.

 > I attached Makefile % CCOPTS file in case you might want to check for errors
 > I made in doing what you said in the original email.
 >
 > Hope you can help me & sorry for all the work, thanks,
 >                                                      John
 >
 > P.S. I hope u don't mind me sending you the attachments but I think it is
 > better than filling up the email ;-)

  Generally ok although my mail reader is an antique.