[daip] install issues

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 3 14:48:25 EST 2004

Neal Miller writes:

 > First, I used gnu 3.4.2 to install AIPS on my Mac laptop a couple
 > months ago. Exactly how bad is this, based on recent commentary on
 > the AIPS installation webpage? I haven't noticed any problems, but
 > are they creeping into my data somehow?

     Try IMEAN to see if it fits the histogram for an rms - that was
one of the functions failing.  Similar errors affect IMFIT, JMFIT and
others.  I backed out of testing since I have some hope of reaching
the gnu group through a former aips-group fellow.

 > Second, I'll be installing AIPS on a new Redhat Enterprise
 > workstation. Is the safest best on compilers to use the old faithful
 > 2.95.2 version?

    2.95.3 has been reliable, but I have had no problems with 3.2.3
other than a couple of no-optimize routines which are now in our list.