[daip] AIPS: solaris vs. redhat

Skinner Steve skinners at mambo.Colorado.EDU
Mon Nov 1 18:49:22 EST 2004

  Eric-

  Thanks for the info. Its encouraging to know that
  my calibrated UVSRT and ICLN files should transfer
  over to Linux.

  I tried writing out a UVSRT file in FITS
  format with 'wrtdisk' and am getting an error. Apparently
  AIPS cannot find the correct Unix directory to write to.
  This looks like an environment variable error. AIPS
  cannot translate my environment variable name
  MYAREA into the correct lower case Unix subdirectory
  name for some reason.

  Any idea what is causing this? I will also run this
  by our Unix people here.

  Maybe I am missing some crucial punctuation somewhere
  (e.g. a backslash or colon), or possibly I have an
  input parameter set incorrectly. I am able to write
  into the output directory, but not sure if that means
  AIPS has write privilege.

  Tx,
  Steve Skinner

  -------------

  *Running AIPS / wrtdisk *

  Before starting AIPS,
  I must ssh onto our Unix server:

  ssh -l skinners origins.colorado.edu

  Then, I set up the Unix/Solaris environment variable to define
  the Unix subdirectory that I want the AIPS files
  to go into:

  ORIGINS:~>pwd
  /home/origins/skinners

  ORIGINS:~>setenv MYAREA '/home/origins/skinners'
ORIGINS:~>echo $MYAREA
/home/origins/skinners

  Then, start AIPS , RUN WRTPROCS, and try to write out a
  AIPS UVSRT file on indisk 6/cat no. 42  using wrtdisk:

  >outfile ='MYAREA'
  >type outfile
  AIPS 1: 'MYAREA                                          '

  >wrtdisk
AIPS 1: Got(1)   disk= 6  user=1554   type=UV   WR110_C.UVSRT.1
FITTP1: Task FITTP  (release of 31DEC02) begins
FITTP1: Writing to disk file: MYAREA:DISK06C0042
FITTP1: ZFULLN: NO TRANSLATION FOR LNAME='MYAREA'
FITTP1: ZTPOPN: NO SUCH LOGICAL DEVICE = MYAREA:DISK06C0042
FITTP1: TAPIO: ERROR   3 OPENING FILE
FITTP1: COULD NOT OPEN OUTPUT FILE.  IER=   8
FITTP1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
FITTP1: origins      31DEC02 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0
 Note: IEEE floating-point exception traps enabled:

 ** Here are the inputs I get, after the above abort:

>inp
AIPS 1: FITTP:  Task to write maps or uv data on a FITS-tape.
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: DOALL        -1                    1 (T) do all, -1 (F) do 1st.
AIPS 1: INNAME     'WR110_C     '          Image name(name).  Standard.
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'UVSRT '                Image name(class). Standard.
AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Image name(seq. #).
AIPS 1: INDISK        6                    Disk drive #.      0 => any
AIPS 1: INTYPE     'UV'                    File type.     Blank => any
AIPS 1: OUTTAPE       1                    Tape drive #.  0 => 1
AIPS 1: OUTFILE    'MYAREA:DISK06C0042                              '
AIPS 1:                                    Disk file name
AIPS 1: DOEOT         1                    1 (T) go to end tape first.
AIPS 1: DOSTOKES      0                    > 0 => Convert to true
AIPS 1:                                       Stokes (Formal I)
AIPS 1:                ******** Changed 12/2/93 ***********************
AIPS 1: DONEWTAB      0                    >0 standard FITS binary
AIPS 1:                                       tables (15JAN94 or later)
AIPS 1:                                    <= 0 AIPS FITS binary tables
AIPS 1:                *AIPS 1: FORMAT        3                    tape
format:   0 => 3.
AIPS 1: ** press RETURN for more, enter Q or next line to quit print **
#

     *                                                     *
     *  Steve Skinner                                      *
     *                                                     *
     *  Center for Astrophysics and Space Astronomy (CASA) *
     *  389 UCB                                            *
     *  University of Colorado                             *
     *  Boulder, CO 80309-0389 USA                         *
     *  Tel.    303-492-4202                               *
     *  Fax.    303-492-4052                               *
     *  E-mail  skinners at casa.colorado.edu                 *
     *  Web:    http://casa.colorado.edu                   *