[daip] Re: Installing AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon May 10 11:02:09 EDT 2004

Gordon McIntosh writes:
 > A colleague and I worked several hours last week attempting to install
 > AIPS on a Mac with an OSX operating system. We got stuck after the final
 > review following the AIPS Running Install Wizard install.pl These
 > instructions were downloaded from the NRAO website.<br><br>
 > The error information is something like: Failed to build PP.EXE This will
 > prevent INSTEP 2 from starting. <br><br>
 > Any suggestions on how to address this problem? <br><br>
 > Thanks.<br><br>
 > Gordon McIntosh<br>
 > Associate Professor of Physics<br>
 > University of Minnesota, Morris<br>
 > Morris, MN 56267<br>
 > email: mcintogc at mrs.umn.edu<br>
 > phone: (320) 589-6342<br><br>

I would need more information than just the concluding error summary
(no PP.EXE was created) to know why that happened.  This requires that
a Fortran compiler be present and functioning correctly.

It is trying to do a simple command:

$FORT -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o

where $FORT is the fortran compiler and the directory area is
$SYSLOCAL.

 cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH    (or . LOGIN.SH)
$CDTST
cd $SYSLOCAL
ls -l

then try the Fortran command
The screen should show in detail what it was trying to do just before
the Failed to build PP.EXE ...  message.

ERic Greisen