[daip] TV problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon May 3 15:05:23 EDT 2004

Aeree Chung writes:

 > I'm Aeree Chung, a grad student in astronomy at
 > Columbia University. Recently I've been having some
 > problems in AIPS TV. If I leave the TV not running
 > for a long time (about a day), the connection between
 > the machine and the TV is gone and the TV won't do
 > anything. Usually I could fix the problem simply by
 > restarting AIPS or logging out and in again which
 > doesn't work any more. Thus my system manager had to
 > reboot the machine to fix it in the other day. But
 > I don't think it could be a permanent solution.
 >
 > Do you ever get the same kind of problem report and
 > what would you recommend me to do in this case?

If you leave the TV function executing - so that it is in a TV read
state (e.g. TVFIDDLE, TVFLG, etc) then there will be some time before
it will respond to new input.  The delay should never be more than a
couple of minutes.

You may close the TV and other servers with the verb KLEENEX in aips.

When the TV is closed, the socket that it used may appear busy for up
to 5 or more minutes depending on the operating system.  (RedHat
usually clears it in 30 sec or so.)  Then you may restart AIPS.

You should be careful how you close the TV.  If you do a kill -9 on
the window (e.g. with the screen manager or from the command line)
then the TV lock daemon remains running and aips will assume that the
TV is running.  You can move the cursor into the TV window and hit the
Esc key to cause XAS to shut down cleanly or use the KLEENEX verb.