[daip] trying to do more with aips... didnt get anywhere really (fwd)

Barbara A Williams baw at UDel.Edu
Mon Mar 22 15:23:46 EST 2004

Could you offer some suggestions as to why the installation of aips is
working? This message is really from the system manager who is using me as
the go between to rely messages that I then forward to him.
Any help at this point would be much appreciated.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:13:50 -0500
From: David Nowak <dnowak at physics.udel.edu>
To: 'Barbara A Williams' <baw at UDel.Edu>
Subject: trying to do more with aips...  didnt get anywhere really

AipsWiz: Running Readline 'configure' in quiet mode, and then make...
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating doc/Makefile
Can't open ./doc/Makefile.in
creating examples/Makefile
Can't open ./examples/Makefile.in
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged
AipsWiz: Error: Either the configure or make step failed in
AipsWiz: Error: /export/home/aips/31DEC04/SUL/LIBR/GNU/.
AipsWiz: Error: This means INSTEP3/INSTEP4 will not work.
AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::
AipsWiz:  =====> Make the XAS TV Server from source if needed...
AipsWiz: XAS.SHR appears to be already unpacked.
AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...

sh: make: not found
sh: make: not found
AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.
AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::
AipsWiz:  =====> Preparing for INSTEP2 and INSTEP4 (building AIPS)...
AipsWiz:  =====> Preparing for the "Midnight Job"...
AipsWiz:         MAKE.MNJ done (C Compiler and options)
AipsWiz:
The AIPS Midnight Job is a way to keep your AIPS
AipsWiz: installation up to date.  It is secure, relatively
AipsWiz: easy, and can be done on demand or in a cron job
AipsWiz: (i.e. periodically, daily or weekly or whenever).
AipsWiz: It does require that you have the cvs software
AipsWiz: package installed on your system.

AipsWiz: This script will set up the infrastructure for you
AipsWiz: to be *able* to run the Midnight Job (MNJ), but you
AipsWiz: have the power to make it run or not.

Should you choose to run the Midnight Job, the
'begin date' will be set to 20040319 (format is YYYYMMDD);
This is ONE day before the generation time
of /export/home/aips/31DEC04.tar.gz (if I've subtracted right!)

AipsWiz: ==> If you want a different date, enter it now::
AipsWiz: About to run '/export/home/aips/31DEC04/SUL/SYSTEM/DPA/MAKE.MNJ 20040319'...
AipsWiz: This will generate a fair bit of output.
AipsWiz: Engaging MAKE.MNJ...

AIPS_VERSION=/export/home/aips/31DEC04
MAKE.MNJ - Moving to /export/home/aips/31DEC04/SUL/UPDATE
MAKE.MNJ - Creating symlinks to files in /export/home/aips/31DEC04/SYSTEM/UNIX/UPDATE
MAKE.MNJ - Compiling utility programs...
"UPDOBSLT.c", line 59: warning: old-style declaration or incorrect type for: main
"UPDOBSLT.c", line 69: warning: implicit function declaration: exit
"UPDOBSLT.c", line 85: warning: implicit function declaration: before
"UPDOBSLT.c", line 86: warning: implicit function declaration: clone
"UPDOBSLT.c", line 91: warning: implicit function declaration: obsolete
MAKE.MNJ -   UPDOBSLT compiled
"UPDLSTDAT.c", line 47: warning: old-style declaration or incorrect type for: main
"UPDLSTDAT.c", line 56: warning: implicit function declaration: exit
MAKE.MNJ -   UPDLSTDAT compiled
MAKE.MNJ - all .OLD files created
MAKE.MNJ - LAST*.DAT files created with begin date of 20040319.000000
MAKE.MNJ - Done.
MAKE.MNJ - The MNJ now uses cvs (http://www.cvshome.org) for updates;
MAKE.MNJ - looking to see if I can find a copy of it....
MAKE.MNJ - I can not seem to find it, either it is not here or it is
MAKE.MNJ - here, but it is installed in a place that is not in your
MAKE.MNJ - search path. If it is not here, you should install it and
MAKE.MNJ - run MAKE.MNJ again. Otherwise, please tell me where you
MAKE.MNJ - put it.
-n MAKE.MNJ - Full path to cvs: :

=======================================
David Nowak
CITA III Physics & Astronomy
222 Sharp Lab
Newark, DE  19716

302-831-6677
302-831-1637 fax

Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts
and economists?"
-- Kelvin Throop III

"Truly unencumbered by the engineering process."
http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Worst-Cars/results1.html