[daip] Installation of AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 5 17:20:00 EST 2004

Volker Heesen writes:

 > I would like to install AIPS on my local Linux-Machine. However I've
 > encountered some problems (nothing else I expected). Could you please give
 > me some hints, what I've to do, to get a proper installation.
 >
 > That's what I've done up to now:
 > - run the installation wizard
 > - installed the gcc-compiler 2.95 in /usr/local
 > - run INSTEP2 & INSTEP4
 > - changed colour depht from 16bit to 24bit
 > - changed the /etc/services file
 > - assinged AIPS_MSG_EMULATOR & AIPS_TEK_EMULATOR to my local terminal
 > emulator "konsole" (Bash)

    This all is very good.

    I would
cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH    (or . LOGIN.SH)

 > Current state:
 > - TV shows up
 > - TEKSRV & MSGSRV shows up
 > - Typing in any commands in TEKSRV & MSGSRV doesn't work. They seem to be
 > busy
 > - typing in commands in the command line doesn't work either. I prompts
 > with: "AIPS 1: Enter user ID number"

You got this far by typing in a comman-line window (e.g. xterm) the
word

      aips

   So - type in a number any number except 1.

in the window you are using.

 > Question: Where I actually have to type in the AIPS-commands?

It should then prompt you with a >
Type in some aips  command - e.g. HELP.

 >      2. [     PS] HP Laserjet5
 >
 > START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:
 > START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the HP Laserjet5
 > START_AIPS:  - system name lj5 at 192.168.0.123, AIPS type PS
 >
 > START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
 >   (Using global default file /usr/local/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
 >    Disk 1 (1) is /usr/local/AIPS/DATA/JULIA_1
 >
 > Tape assignments:
 >    Tape 1 is REMOTE
 >    Tape 2 is REMOTE
 >
 > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called julia
 > START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on JULIA
 > START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on julia asynchronously
 > START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
 > START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on JULIA asynchronously...
 > Starting up 31DEC03 AIPS with normal priority
 > Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC03) at priority =   0
 > AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > ?UNIXSERVERS: TVSRV1 is already running on host julia, user heesen
 > UNIXSERVERS: XAS1 is already running on host julia, display julia:0, user heesen
 > UNIXSERVERS: TKSRV1 is already running on host julia, display julia:0, user heesen
 > UNIXSERVERS: MSSRV1 is already running on host julia, display julia:0, user (unknown)

    Up to here is fine - why not enter a number instead of CTRL-C?

Eric Greisen