[daip] Re: aips help

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 4 17:30:53 EDT 2004

Emily Xanthopoulos writes:

 > maybe you can help me with this. After a lot of months working OK with
 > aips, I am suddenly getting the message when I start aips:
 > 'TVDEVS.SH: No free socket slots left!' and gets out of aips.
 > What can  I do to free socket slots for TV display. Why did I not have
 > that problem for so long and suddenly appeared now?

Sorry - I gave you an answer worth checking but this is a message from
aips itself.  Go look in /tmp.  I think you will find a bunch of files
named XAS.n and/or LOK.n and/or TKS.n and/or MSS.n which are used as
unix sockets for "local" aips TVs.  In some way these are remianing
active instead of disappearing as they should and you have no more
available (1-36 are all that we allow).  If no aips's are running
simply delete all such files - but ask yourself how are you ending
your aips sessions.  Use kleenex rather than exit to shut down the
servers properly.