[daip] AIPS 1: SYMBOL?

Piner Glenn gpiner at whittier.edu
Wed Jun 2 16:25:45 EDT 2004

Hello,

I have a student AIPS user who simply gets the message AIPS 1: SYMBOL? whenever he enters any input.  So, for example:
>AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit
>ucat
>AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       UCAT
>exit
>AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       EXIT

This error started happening today, without an obvious cause.
The problem is only affecting his particular user ID, other user IDs are fine.
I can't try the normal fixes like 'restore 0' because his AIPS doesn't understand any input:
>restore 0
AIPS 1: SYMBOL?       RESTORE

Could you let me know the cause and solution to this problem, if this is a well-known problem?

Thanks,

Glenn Piner