[daip] Re: Trouble getting the TV started in 31DEC04 install of AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 29 14:53:38 EDT 2004

Travis Rector writes:
 > Hi Eric-
 >
 > Another minor question.  After installing AIPS on my desktop machine
 > (also Mac OS X 10.3) in (hopefully) the same manner as my laptop it
 > thinks I'm on a workstation called 0.0.0.0.  I can get aips to start
 > ok if I tell it tv=localhost, but presumably there's somewhere I can
 > edit to put this in directly.  Any ideas on why its doing this?

I do not know why this is happening.  In your case - a single computer
as the only user - you can set LAPTOP = YES rather than NO in
$AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH and LOGIN.CSH.  Then edit
$AIPS_ROOT/DA00/DADEVS.LIST and NETSP to add data disks for the host
named LOCALHOST.  What I usually do is

also edit $AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST to add LOCALHOST

cd $AIPS_ROOT/DA00
ln -s XXXX LOCALHOST
cd $AIPS_ROOT/DATA
ln -s XXXX_1 LOCALHOST_1
ln -s XXXX_2 LOCALHOST_2

where the "real" name of the machine is/was XXXX and the data areas
are in $AIPS_ROOT/DATA at least as link files to their real location
and listed as such in DADEVS.LIST and NETSP.

It gets the name via uname -n except when laptop is true.