[daip] amplitude calibration

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 27 13:23:06 EDT 2004

Yoshiaki Hagiwara writes:
 > please let me ask about the VLA amplitude calibration.
 >

 > to determine the flux densities (K-band) of
 > two phase calibrator sources (listed below) from CALIB solution
 > of the primary calibrator (3c286), I ran GETJY.
 > but the obtained flux values recorded in SU table
 > of these two sources are 3 times as big as those in VLA
 > calibrator list. I don't think it is up to
 > the flux variability.

     What configuration is this - you may need to use models for
3C286.  These models are provided with 31DEC04 AIPS although they
work only for CMETH = 'DFT ' which is plenty fast for the amount of
data involved.

 > Perhaps, I'd better edit these values in SU table
 > by hand... but something might be wrong with my anaysis.
 > I just follow the standrad VLA calibration
 > procedure as usual. I never met a trouble like this before.
 >
 > Do you have any idea to solve this problem?

 >   GETJY1: 0836+710        :  0   A     1    3.29408 +/-   1.13075
 >   GETJY1: 09550+65483     :  0   A     1    1.98881 +/-   0.70279

These error bars are way too large and suggest to me that you may have
bad data in need of editing (or perhaps the 3C286 modeling is
required).  Run SNPLT to look at the current SN table solutions (or
SNEDT but not to change the SN values just to look).