[daip] aips install question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sat Jul 24 13:20:55 EDT 2004

Chip Kobulnicky writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I just successfully (I think) replaced a DEC03 version of AIPS with
 > DEC04 on redhat 7.3 and I've defined the existing aips data directories
 > in DA00 and DATA but when starting aips it can't seem to find my
 > existing catalog files.  As you can see from the transcript below, the
 > disk exists, and a listing in that directory shows a catalog files for
 > user 1708=1BG
 >
 > -rw-rw-r--    1 chip     users        5120 Jun 11 14:14 CAD000000.1BG;
 > -rw-rw-r--    1 chip     users        5120 Jun 11 14:23 CAD000000.1BH;
 > -rw-rw-r--    1 chip     users        5120 Jun 11 14:24 CAD000000.1C6;
 >
 > but I get the errors as below.  What might I have missed?  Is it
 > suspicious that when I:
 >
 >  >print user
 > AIPS 1:      0
 >
 > I get user 0 even though I've started aips as 1708?

     USERID is an adverb that has default value 0 and is not changed
by loging in.  Those few things in aips that use USERID take 0 to be
whatever the user number was that you typed logging in.

 > START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 3]:
 > START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the B&W in ps204c
 > START_AIPS:  - system name 204c, AIPS type PS
 >
 > START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
 >    (Using global default file /usr/local/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
 > DADEVS.PL)
 >     Disk 1 (1) is /usr/local/aips/DATA/ZEM_1
 >
 > Tape assignments:
 >     Tape 1 is REMOTE
 >     Tape 2 is REMOTE
 >
 > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called zem
 > START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on zem asynchronously
 > START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
 > START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on ZEM asynchronously...
 > Starting up 31DEC04 AIPS with normal priority
 > Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC04) at priority =   0
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   4
 > AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   4
 >   ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000;          NOT FOUND
 > MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
 > AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
 > ?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host zem, user chip
 > XASERVERS: XAS is already running on host zem, display :0, user chip
 > XASERVERS: TEKSRV is already running on host zem, display :0, user chip
 > XASERVERS: MSGSRV is already running on host zem, display :0, user chip
 > 1708
 > AIPS 1:                          31DEC04 AIPS:
 > AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Associated Universities, Inc.
 > AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
 > AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
 > AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
 > AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
 > AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
 > AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
 > AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit
 >  >mc
 > AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA01:CAD000000;          NOT FOUND
 >  >restore 0
 >  >mc
 > AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA01:CAD000000;          NOT FOUND
 >  >free
 > AIPS 1: Disk Volume name              Total Full       Free Timd Access
 > AIPS 1:  #                           blocks    %     blocks days
 > AIPS 1:  1  <cal/aips/DATA/ZEM_1  108191232   66   35274356  365 Alluser
 >  >

I see what happened.  You must have run FILAIP by hand rather than
with the the install.pl script.  The first question is about disks and
number of slots to put in the catalog.  The second number must be
negative to imply that you want user-owned catalogs.  The CA file
above is meant for multiple users and I am not surprised that it is
not working correctly as that mode is no longer used and so has not
been tested.

exit aips

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH    (or . LOGIN.SH for bash shells)
$CDTST

RUN FILAIP
4 -100
4 2