[daip] Mac OS X AIPS install crash

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jan 2 19:42:47 EST 2004

Schuyler Van Dyk writes:

 > I have grabbed the 31DEC04 version, plus the compilers and readline files,
 > successfully ran the Install Wizard, edited the /etc/services file, etc.
 > And, now I have gotten to the point where I can fire up AIPS.  However, in
 > the xterm window, it does not know that the machine is "LOCALHOST".  It thinks
 > my laptop is called "SCHUYLER-VAN-DYKS-COMPUTER," and AIPS obviously can't
 > find that host in the HOSTS.LIST or the corresponding data area in the
 > DADEVS.LIST, and fails to start up.
 >
 > How can I convert "SCHUYLER-VAN-DYKS-COMPUTER" to "LOCALHOST"
 > for X11, so that AIPS can now finally run (hopefully!)?

You ignored question window 5b (I think that's the number) that asked
if you wanted to be a laptop or no - actually whether you are a single
host or multiple.

To fix:

1. Edit $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH and LOGIN.CSH changing LAPTOP to YES.
2. Edit $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/DADEVS.LIST and NETSP to make entries that say
   LOCALHOST_1 etc
3. Edit $AIPS_ROOT/HOSTS.LIST to add LOCALHOST
4. You probably just want to get rid of this too long name so remove
   it from HOSTS.LIST and DADEVS.LIST and NETSP and then
4. mv $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/SCHUYLER-VAN-DYKS-COMPUTER $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/LOCALHOST
5. Fix the file names to data areas to be pointers with names
   LOCALHOST_1 etc.

Glad things have worked.

Eric