[daip] Adding a task to aips

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 13 13:21:14 EST 2004

Saskia Prins writes:

 > I recently replaced an ancient version of AIPS with the 31DEC03
 > version and now I am trying to incoorporate DIY programming in there.
 > The explanations in the Cookbook (chapter 12) refer to a statement
 > DATA PRGM /'TASK '/, which is not present in my routines.
 >
 > Is this statement necessary?  Can I just include this in my routines, or
 > do I need more incantations?

Somewhere in every task there is a statement somewhat like

      DATA PRGNAM /'AAAAA'/

where AAAAA is the name of the task and the PRGNAM may be more or less
any variable name.  This is passed to GTPARM subroutine (or
subroutines layered above GTPARM) so that it can find the parameters
of the task.  You should be using Going AIPS despite its apparent age
(1990) as your main reference.  The CookBook is not for Fortran
programmers.  Most of Going AIPS is still correct.