clarification... Re: [daip] aips binaries via ftp

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 23 11:52:32 EST 2004

Andrei Sokolov writes:
 > Tru64 (formerly known as OSF/1, or Digital Unix) is a Unix operating
 > system
 > installed on Alpha servers and workstations from Compaq. It says on
 > this
 > web page http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/install.shtml that aips can be
 > installed on Alpha OSF1 (Tru64). I was just wondering if you had
 > pre-compiled
 > binaries for this system. I've tried to compile the sourse but it
 > didn't work because
 > there were problems with XAS files. Are binary files that you mention
 > available
 > for download? How can I get them?

We no longer own a DEC Alpha machine and so cannot prepare binaries.
If you would provide me with the problems you had in installing from
source then maybe I could help you.

The usual problem in compiling XAS is that the necessary include files
are not present.  We assume that /usr/include has a file called X11
which is a link file , e.g.

    X11 -> ../X11R6/include/X11/

/usr/X11R6/include/X11
primate<351>$ ls
ap_keysym.h   fonts/        RectObjP.h    Xatom.h       Xfuncs.h   xpm.h
bitmaps/      HPkeysym.h    Shell.h       Xauth.h       X.h        Xpoll.h
Composite.h   ICE/          ShellP.h      Xaw/          XKBlib.h   Xproto.h
CompositeP.h  Intrinsic.h   SM/           Xaw3d/        Xlib.h     Xprotostr.h
ConstrainP.h  IntrinsicP.h  StringDefs.h  Xcms.h        Xlibint.h  Xresource.h
Constraint.h  keysymdef.h   Sunkeysym.h   Xcursor/      Xlocale.h  Xthreads.h
Core.h        keysym.h      Vendor.h      Xdefs.h       Xmd.h      Xutil.h
CoreP.h       Object.h      VendorP.h     Xdmcp.h       Xmu/       XWDFile.h
cursorfont.h  ObjectP.h     X10.h         XF86keysym.h  Xosdefs.h
DECkeysym.h   PM/           Xalloca.h     Xft/          Xos.h
extensions/   RectObj.h     Xarch.h       Xfuncproto.h  Xos_r.h

We use a few of the .h files here.  The RPM for XWindows developers
needs to be installed (that may not be correct language for alphas
unfortunately).