[daip] AIPS Help - TV

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 17 11:13:39 EDT 2004

Cyril Tasse writes:

    Your message reached me from 4 simultaneous directions.  Please
use daip at nrao.edu as the sole aips help address.

 > I'm a PhD student working with VLA data, using AIPS. For almost a year
 > everything was going very fine with AIPS, but I now have a problem, and me
 > and the network administrator here couldn't find it out, so as a 'last
 > chance', I ask for some help, if a solution exists.
 >
 > Well, the problem came when the Redhat version has been changed. The
 > problem is as follow: when using the tv for interactive tasks such as
 > TVFLG, SPFLG, it's incredebly slow, so slow and dicontinuous that it's not
 > possible to work with. So if you could give us some clues about that
 > usolvable problem it would help.

Unfortunately, you give me so little information that I have little to
say in return.

Was AIPS rebuild for the new RedHat?  What compiler was used?  What
version of RedHat is it?  Are you runnning on a computer locally over
over the net - i.e. with a compute server and a local desktop as the
display server?  Is XAS running on the display server or on the
compute server with only $DISPLAY going to the desktop display server?
This last would be incredibly slow.   What sort of interconnection are
there between computers - is the Internet socket being used and having
to go to some remote computer somewhere as the name server?

Try

aips tv=local

as see if things like TVLOD and TVTRANS (verbs inside aips itself) are
slow.