[daip] Re: AIPS installation questions

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 10 11:05:03 EDT 2004

Patrick P Murphy writes:
 > On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:42:41 -0600, Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu> said:
 >
 > > Samuel Conner writes:
 >
 > >> I have installed 31DEC03 from CD to a laptop running the current
 > >> release of RedHat Linux, which they call "Professional Workstation".
 >
 > >> THere was a hiccup on installation. In particular, the CDSETUP &
 > >> install.pl scripts did not compile most of the source code (I
 > >> answered "n" to the "install linux binaries" query). I don't know
 > >> perl and am afraid to try to debug the script. The script compiled
 > >> and linked the XAS program and then exited, saying that AIPS had
 > >> installed successfully. But there was nothing in the $LOAD directory
 > >> except for XAS.EXE and one other .EXE .
 >
 > You can recover this by just copying the *.EXE files from the CD in the
 > corresponding directory.  If you plan on running a midnight job, you'll
 > want the libaries too (31DEC03/LINUX/LIBR/*/SUBLIB and probably a
 > symlink from 31DEC03/LINUX/LIBR/GNU/libreadline.a to the actual file in
 > /usr/lib).

     There is no MNJ for 31DEC03 so the compiler and libraries are not
an issue except for perhaps changing the AP size.  20 Mbytes is
compiled in and that is pretty good for most things.

 > >    You do not need INSTEP2 and INSTEP4 to change the AP size.  They
 > > should work okay if you know how to use them.
 >
 > I thought that to increase AP size beyond the pre-compiled-in limit
 > procedure was to edit PAPC.INC, then run INSTEP2/4?  You can discover
 > this limit via running SETPAR, and try changing parameter 29 to a very
 > large number, say 99999999.
 >
 > >> b) I seem to have an f77 compiler in /usr/bin. Is it better to use
 > >> this than g77? Are there recommended compiler switches for this
 > >> compiler?
 >
 > On my RedHat 9 system:
 >
 > lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Dec 31  2003 /usr/bin/f77 -> g77*
 >
 > So f77 is g77.

You need to see what version it is

g77 --version.

It is probably not 2.95.3 but then we build the 31DEC03 under RedHat
7.2 and any rebuild under later OS's will be incompatible.  You will
have to blow away $TST/$ARCH/INSTALL/*.L* and $LIBR/*/SUBLIB and run
INSTEP2 and INSTEP4 in this case.

Why don't you take 31DEC04 instead and run a MNJ and do an install
from the tar ball.  The 31DEC03 CD is meant to be taken as is and not
messed with.