[daip] Re: AIPS installation questions

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 10 10:15:33 EDT 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:42:41 -0600, Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu> said:

> Samuel Conner writes:

>> I have installed 31DEC03 from CD to a laptop running the current
>> release of RedHat Linux, which they call "Professional Workstation".

>> THere was a hiccup on installation. In particular, the CDSETUP &
>> install.pl scripts did not compile most of the source code (I
>> answered "n" to the "install linux binaries" query). I don't know
>> perl and am afraid to try to debug the script. The script compiled
>> and linked the XAS program and then exited, saying that AIPS had
>> installed successfully. But there was nothing in the $LOAD directory
>> except for XAS.EXE and one other .EXE .

You can recover this by just copying the *.EXE files from the CD in the
corresponding directory.  If you plan on running a midnight job, you'll
want the libaries too (31DEC03/LINUX/LIBR/*/SUBLIB and probably a
symlink from 31DEC03/LINUX/LIBR/GNU/libreadline.a to the actual file in
/usr/lib).

In re-testing the CD install script from home the other night, I was
somewhat embarrassed at how it performed (I wrote the script so only
have myself to blame!).  There are quite a few glitches that could be
cleaned up, and points that I understood well from my time in the AIPS
support trenches, but not everyone should be expected to.

>> I subsequently simply installed the binaries, and AIPS and the
>> services seem to be working, though I have not yet run the DDT.

This, modulo the libraries and MNJ issue, was the right thing to do.

> 1) assuming that DDT succeeds, I will have a working AIPS
> installation. But if I want to recompile the programs (for example, to
> increase the size of the AP in DAPC.INC), I don't know what to do.

See above.  The "gotcha" will be to use a compiler that is compatible
with the one that built the libraries; I suspect this will be the 2.95
compiler on a RH7.2 system, given the date of the AIPS version.  Just
make sure the gcc and g77 references in $SYSLOCAL/*OPTS.SH are pointing
at the right version.  You do not want to mix/match .o files built with
gcc 2.95 and, say, gcc 3.2.

>    You do not need INSTEP2 and INSTEP4 to change the AP size.  They
> should work okay if you know how to use them.

I thought that to increase AP size beyond the pre-compiled-in limit
procedure was to edit PAPC.INC, then run INSTEP2/4?  You can discover
this limit via running SETPAR, and try changing parameter 29 to a very
large number, say 99999999.

>> b) I seem to have an f77 compiler in /usr/bin. Is it better to use
>> this than g77? Are there recommended compiler switches for this
>> compiler?

On my RedHat 9 system:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Dec 31  2003 /usr/bin/f77 -> g77*

So f77 is g77.

				 - Pat (watching from the sidelines)
--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.           NRAO, Charlottesville, Virginia
 Division Head, CV Computing        Computer Security Manager