[daip] Problem reading data from a remote tape drive

jorstad jorstad at bu.edu
Fri Apr 30 17:48:18 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have installed 31DEC04 AIPS version on PC with platform FEDORA that is
something like RedHat 11.0. I don't have a local tape drive and want to
use a tape drive
on another LINUX computer. However, while I can successfully mount the tape,
AIPS will not read it.

Following the Guide to the Install Wizard, I edited the files  TPDEVS.LIST
and TPHOST in /sjet02/aips/DA00 (/sjet02/aips is AIPS HOME DIRECTORY);
the files are shown below. The computer with the tape drive is
buast0.bu.edu.

TPDEVS.LIST:
# Host     Device-name    Comment
BUAST0    /dev/nst0       4mm tape drive

TPHOST:
# Default as-shipped configuration has "localhost" to disable any remote
# access completely.
localhost
buast0.bu.edu
127.0.0.1

I used mount:
 >inp mount
AIPS 1: MOUNT:    Verb to software mount a tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape unit # (0=> 1)
AIPS 1: DENSITY    6250                    Density to set on mount.
AIPS 1: REMHOST    'BUAST0                    Remote computer name
AIPS 1:              '
AIPS 1: REMTAPE       1                    Remote tape drive number

which seemed to work, giving me hope:
 >mount
AIPS 1: Mounted on ANSI SCSI 2 tape on host buast0

However, "fitld"  does not work:
sjet.b> FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC04) begins
sjet.b> FITLD1: Reading tape drive number   1
sjet.b> FITLD1: ZTPOPR: REMOTE TAPE SYSTEM RETURNS ERROR CODE     99
sjet.b> FITLD1: ZTPOPN: REMOTE OPEN ERROR  99 TO
sjet.b> FITLD1: TAPIO: ERROR  99 OPENING FILE
sjet.b> FITLD1: ERROR      8 OPENING TAPE
sjet.b> FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
sjet.b> FITLD1: sjet         31DEC04 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=

Here is a listing of the first several parameters I used in FITLD:
 >inp
AIPS 1: FITLD:  Task to store an image or UV data from a FITS tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Input tape drive # (0 => 1)
AIPS 1: NFILES        0                    # of files to advance on tape
AIPS 1: INFILE     *all ' '                Disk file name
AIPS 1: OUTNAME    'BM191       '          File name (name)
AIPS 1: OUTCLASS   'UV    '                File name (class)
AIPS 1: OUTSEQ        0                    File name (seq. #)
AIPS 1:                                       0 => highest unique number
AIPS 1:                                         => matching (on VLBA)
AIPS 1:                                      -1 => FITS tape value
AIPS 1: OUTDISK       1                    Disk drive # (0 => any)

Thank you very much for any advice you can give,

Svetlana Jorstad