[daip] do me a favour

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 9 15:28:59 EDT 2004

First, please choose a more descriptive subject line - "do me a favor"
is usually an appeal for money from africa or to buy drugs inthe 100's
of spam we receive each day.

I have added in the last day information on this problem - which I do
not understand - to the AIPS Manager FAQ web page.  This indicates
that your computer cannot reference itself via the internet, that it
is missing the necessary "loopback" capability.  The FAQ is at
    http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/aipsmgr
and the specific entry (w html markup) is

<dt><strong>AIPS works but the XWindows tools can't open
     display</strong>
     all sorts of problems especially those related to ssh.
     Unfortunately, this seems to cause problems with some machines,
     especially laptops.  What is needed is a "loopback" function that
     allows a computer to talk to itself on the internet.  This is
     automatically present when connected to the internet but is
     missing on some laptops when not connected.  Try
<pre>
                /sbin/ifconfig -a
</pre>
     which should show (among other sections) a loopback section:
</pre>
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1598819254 (1524.7 Mb)  TX bytes:1598819254 (1524.7 Mb)
</pre>
     Our system experts have written a script which they then have
     executed.  The following may be of use:
<pre>
This is a script we put in /etc/init.d

Then we use the following command to activate it...
  chkconfig --level 2345 loopback on

mind you this is redhat9 specific and also specific to how we do things.
Honestly I don't know why someone wouldn't have a loopback device *shrug*

#!/bin/sh
#
#File: /users/krowe/loopback