[daip] Re: AIPS 1: BLEW CORE!

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 6 17:54:33 EDT 2004

Piner Glenn writes:

 > Hi,
 >
 > I have a student AIPS user who gets the following error message whenever
 > he tries to compile scripts (e.g. run vlbautil, run crsfring):
 > >run vlbautil
 > (script comments deleted)
 > AIPS 1: PROCEDURE VBA_VARS
 > AIPS 1: BLEW CORE!
 > >run crsfring
 > (script comments deleted)
 > AIPS 1: proc crsfring
 > AIPS 1: BLEW CORE!
 >
 > The problem seems to be related to the proc command, which under his user
 > number gives, for example:
 > >proc test1
 > AIPS 1: BLEW CORE!
 >
 > I have verified that the error ONLY occurs when I run AIPS with HIS
 > user ID number, under my user ID number or any other that I have tested things
 > work fine.
 >
 > These procedures used to work fine under his ID number also until this week when the error started.  I have not altered or re-compiled AIPS in any way.
 >
 > I am running the frozen 31DEC03 version under Red Hat 9.
 >
 > Any help would be appreciated, I am stumped.

He has recompiled procedures over and over again without ever
collecting the garbage and so has exceeded the - not very generous ---
bounds set for the POPS vocabulary.  The verb CORE will show where he
is with this.  Since BLEW CORE was hit, I suspect that COMPRESS will
fail now because of partly compiled procedures.  The solution is to
RESTORE 0.  After re-compiling procedures, say COMPRESS to get the
lost space back again.  Note, VLBAUTIL needs to be RUN only once -
then the procs are remembered in the LASTEXIT file when the user
restarts aips.