[daip] another error message

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sat Apr 3 18:49:16 EST 2004

Chao-Shan Chen writes:

 > The problem happened when a short network break interrupted NFS sharing.
 > This is why my colleague's aips think that TC file is used by another
 > aips session ( the DA00 area is on the NFS server).
 >
 > And here I need your suggestions that, currently I setup the AIPS site
 > on a NFS server, I run SYSETUP on the server for a new client say 'albireo'.
 >
 > So in albireo, it's $AIPS_ROOT is on the server, $DA00 is also on the
 > same server. Only data area like $DA01 $DA02,,, located local.
 >
 > I would like to ask a question that, if I want to setup $NET0/ALBIREO to
 > be at local disk, then which one shall I do:
 > 1, let $NET0 still be $AIPS_ROOT/DA00, $DA00 still at the NFS server.
 > and (symb link) ln -s $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/ALBIREO to say
 > /albireo/AIPSDATA/ALBIREO_0 (which is a local disk directory). This
 > case, DA00 is still on the NFS server, while only in host albireo, the
 > $DA00/ALBIREO link is found.
 > Then SYSETUP still run on the NFS server for new client like albireo,
 > but I need to do extra ln -s at each client for the $NET0/ALBIREO (aka
 > $DA00/ALBIREO) for the local real location.

     This is what we do - each directory in $NET0 is actually a
symbolic link to a real directory such as
/albireo/AIPSDATA/ALBIREO_0.  NFS seems to realize that this is really
on albireo rather than on the central server and the locking bug goes
away.

 > 2, or let each DA00/(HOST) being at the local disk space, only
 > $AIPS_ROOT be on the NFS server?
 > How to do that? modifying the LOGIN.?SH or AIPSPATH.SH and define $DA00
 > or $NET0 using a hostname related variable?
 > Then running SYSETUP on the client like albireo instead of on the server
 > when adding a host to the site?

Keep everything central except the data areas and these DA00 areas.
Then there needs to be only one copy and one MNJ and so forth.